Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Vinnie Talking about Jeff

  1. #1
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah man [img]cool.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member eaglebeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2002
    Posts
    234
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    SELECT TRACKS: 'Jo Jo' and 'Gimme The Goods' with Boz Scaggs - he plays this really fast 32nd-note thing at the end that is incredible!

    (...That's what he's talkin' about!)
    [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

    "Everytime I hear him, it's that same excitement, that same joy, He's there forever now, in my mind, my heart, my memories, and with the tremendous prodigious body of his great music that he's left us all. I miss him terribly right now. I miss you, Jeff." [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Sweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2004
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cheers for posting the MP3s Eagle....

    Those 32nds at the end were still a surprise!......

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    have you taken these mp3's down already EB? I'm not having any joy....

    [img]frown.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member donu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Dazzler:
    have you taken these mp3's down already EB? I'm not having any joy....

    [img]frown.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Try again it work now [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Klemme's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2003
    Posts
    854
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by S.P:
    [QB]
    "We had so much fun when I guested briefly on Los Lobotomys. Double-drumming with Jeff was one of the high points of my career and my life. I finally got a firsthand glimpse at what it must feel like for musicians to play with him. It was like floating on a cloud. I know that sounds cliche' but it was an unbelievable feeling.

    [QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a concert with Los tobomys from LA in 88 or 89, where these cats are blazing this old Miles Davis classic. You can buy the whole concert at Audiophileimports.


    Enjoy

    www.jeje.web.surftown.dk/sounds/Los Lobotomys & Vinnie Colaiuta - All Blues.mp3

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 17, 2004 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Klemme ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "James Newton Howard & Friends , which is an instrumental album that is amazing,"

    I've got that on an old tape cassette and it is fantastic.

    http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=11359

  8. #8
    Inactive Member eaglebeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2002
    Posts
    234
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dazzler,

    Try downloading from here.

    [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member S.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Posts
    1,178
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is a pretty interesting snippet from an issue in 1992 of modern drummer. The jeff porcaro tribute issue, vinnie tells some cool stories

    VINNIE COLAIUTA
    "I'll never forget the first time I met him. It was the first time I saw him play on a date. It was at Crimson Sound in Santa Monica, on Tom Scott's Street Beat album. My dear friends Neil Stubenhaus and Carlos Rios were on that date. I was new in town. Evidentally, they had been spending some time on this tune, but by the time I got there, they had changed the groove, although I was hearing it fresh, right? They started playing and I just freaked. Jeff sounded so amazing. The groove was so ridiculous, so hip. Neil introduced me to him. They were on a break before they went back in to try it again, and he was like, 'Man, I can't play tonight, I'm tired, man.' Well, let me tell you - if that was tired, then I'm lucky to even be playing, because that was on fire ."

    "He put his reputation on the line for me more than once. I owe a large part of my career to him. I'll never forget the time we were recording Pages . He seemed so happy for me, almost proud. He let me use his drums to record with. in fact, he insisted that I use them for the record. When I got bumped from the record, he was livid. And he recorded some of the record too. And in my heart of hearts, I couldn't be happier that he did, and proud that it was him - one of my all-time biggest heroes - because I learned so much from him, I was so thrilled to be around him. His presence alone spawned excitement and hope for us, because he was the cat; he was in it deep, and he had it all. People listened to him, and he set the standard and kept it. His stuff didn't get old. He is timeless. Sometimes you get people who, well, they document things and that's it. Like you don't update or modernize or modify the Mona Lisa. You just don't.

    "There was the time I was playing with Karizma at the Potato, and Jeff was in the audience, I closed my eyes because sweat got in them. Finally when I could open them again, I looked down in the middle of the tune and Jeff was on the floor underneath the hi-hat, lying down looking up at me, cracking up. I looked down and saw him there and just lost it. It was because my hi-hat had broken. He had actually climbed over the counter; behind the drums, and by the time I could open my eyes, he was fixing it. Who else would have...you know? I mean, that's how he was. He'd be the first guy to help you with anything.

    "We had so much fun when I guested briefly on Los Lobotomys. Double-drumming with Jeff was one of the high points of my career and my life. I finally got a firsthand glimpse at what it must feel like for musicians to play with him. It was like floating on a cloud. I know that sounds cliche' but it was an unbelievable feeling.

    SELECT TRACKS: "'Jo Jo' and 'Gimme The Goods' with Boz Scaggs - he plays this really fast 32nd-note thing at the end that is incredible; 'Gaucho' with Steely Dan, 'Rosanna' with Toto, Bill Champlin's solo album; 'I Keep Forgettin'' with Michael McDonald; James Newton Howard & Friends , which is an instrumental album that is amazing, and Michael Bolton's 'When A Man Loves A Woman.' When I heard the fill in the middle of that song, I knew it couldn't be anyone other than Jeff.

    "Everytime I hear him, it's that same excitement, that same joy, He's there forever now, in my mind, my heart, my memories, and with the tremendous prodigious body of his great music that he's left us all. I miss him terribly right now. I miss you, Jeff."

  10. #10
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was just listening to Jeff and then found your post. Thanks SP, I really enjoyed reading that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •